Monday 12 January 2015

Some watercolour practice and a disaster!

Before Christmas I was lucky enough to get my grubby mitts on the 'Bloom With Hope' set (thanks Sylvia!). I made a card using one of the stamps but hadn't used any of the others, so yesterday with a couple of hours to spare I decided to make a one layer card and make the bright shiny stamps a bit inky!
The only thing with one layer cards is that if you make a mistake when stamping you're (to put it politely) knackered! And invariably the 'one layer' ends up becoming two.
Sadly I couldn't even do that with this one as I would have had to chop off too much - I stamped the bottom left of the card perfectly well, masking flowers as I went along.

Felt just a teeny smug as apart from one little smudge all appeared just fine. Turned my attention to the sentiment and placement - decided, stamped and again - just fine.

I left it alone for a while to give the ink chance to dry and then sat and spent a relaxing time using some new watercolours. Was happy!

The I decided (foolishly) that the top right looked a little bare - so I stamped again using just the smallest flower- fine. Masked over the stamp to add the tiniest bit of leaf and the damn mask slipped - hence what can only be described as the jumbly ink mass in the top tight trying to be disguised with watercolour. I was SO mad!

OH said it looks fine so have bitten the bullet and shared it. (Not before adding a couple of sequins and two of the tiniest gems!)
 Challenges -
Less Is More -  1 layer/New beginnings
Quirky Crafts - CAS
Virginia's View - Clean Slate
Simon Says Stamp - New
Happy Little Stampers - watercolouring (CAS)

We're still being battered by very strong winds here - the moor top certainly can whip up the worst winds I have ever experienced! But there's something about being all warm and cosy when the wind hail/sleet is battering against the windows isn't there! Thanks for calling by - stay warm and safe wherever you are. x

27 comments:

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

This is really pretty Viv! Love that textured cardstock! Great stamping technique too! Hazel x

Sid said...

Lovely card so well made !! Happy New Year too !

Karren said...

This is beautiful and your coloring is fantastic! You covered your masking glitch admirably :)

Sue said...

This is stunning Viv, the images are so beautiful. It all looks perfect to me!
Sue xx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Beautiful card with such gorgeous flower images Viv. I am sure I wouldn't have noticed your boo boo if you hadn't pointed it out! Susan x

Jackie said...

You are far too hard on yourself, the overall effect is so beautiful. I have done things like that myself, thinking I will just add a little bit, and ruining the whole thing, but yours has worked very well :o)
Jackie xx

Lynne said...

Honestly Viv the mistake is not noticable at all. Your card is really pretty.
Lynne xxx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Beautiful images, beautiful colouring and sentiment and beautiful all round one layer card Viv.
Thanks so much for pleasing along this week
Sarah
Less is more

brenda said...

Totally delightful work Viv and a sentiment that is one of my favs.

B x

Suze Bain said...

Now mrs, keep your knickers on, that flowers at the top are fine, you hear me, they're fine! Lol! Gorgeous card Viv, great stamping on the textured card. Xx

Sarn said...

I am in agreement with your OH . . . looks fine to me too. Stop being so harsh on yourself woman! It's a lovely card.

Hugs, Darn Sarn xxx

Canonbury creations said...

Very pretty Viv and I would never have noticed a problem if you hadn't said, in fact I still can't!!!
Val x

coops said...

so gorgeous viv.your watercoloured flowers are beautiful and i love the added gems and sequins ;D

xx coops xx

Carole said...

This is a beautiful card Viv, super watercolouring and a case of if you hadn't mentioned the top corner then I wouldn't have noticed! ............but I feel your pain when you feel you have messed up. We are our worse critics. Is it a top fold card?.I was thinking if not you could have cut off the corner and made it fancy. I love it anyway Viv

Lee said...

Viv,this is soooo Beautiful well done you,I have looked but I can't see anything wrong.We too have been battered but all ok so far.Take care,happy crafting.xx

Jacee said...

Very pretty Viv, a really lovely card
hugs Jacee
Simply Paper Card Design

Loll said...

Lovely watercolouring Viv ... and such beautiful soft shades. I wouldn't have noticed your slip if you didn't point it out. Seriously, it looks wonderful and you are too hard on yourself. Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers! Loll xx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meggymay said...

Beautiful one layer card Viv. I think we are always critical with our own work, don't be this looks FAB.
Yvonne x

McCrafty's Cards said...

Hi Viv, you should not have told us, it looks fine, its a stunning card, I love the water colour flowers and the sentiment
Kevin xx

jenn shurkus said...

such a pretty card :) and I am living by that sentiment haha :) Thank you for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp!

Pia S said...

It's a beautiful one layered design that looks perfectly CAS!

Kylie said...

So beautiful! LOVE your watercolouring - just perfect. Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

aussie aNNie said...

Love the colour combo's, stunning creation and what a beautiful image used.loved your version of CAS that you left on my blog....you did pretty good with this one though..x
{The Journey is the Start – my personal blog}

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Great job with the stamp set Viv - love your colouring skills. It all looks good to me!
Sylvia xx

Chrissie said...

This is SO pretty and a perfect subject for our challenge!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Anne said...

Hi Viv
I think it needed something top right to balance it - and it looks really springlike and fab!
Thank you for taking part at Less is More this week
Anne
LIM