Monday 3 June 2013

Crafty Cardmakers DT - Father Day/Inspired by a man in your life

Our latest challenge at Crafty Cardmakers is being hosted by Feebs, who has chosen the theme of a  'Father's Day'.  Let's see anything you've created for or have been inspired to make by the father figure in your life. It could be anything from a card, a scrapbook page, a knitted scarf or a piece of altered art. It does not have to be specifically for Father's Day but let us know the inspiration behind your work. 

Please ensure you let us know the inspiration behind your work to qualify for a winner or Top 5 slot and don't forget to check out those pesky rules before you submit your entry! Two fab sponsors again this challenge - THE PAPER SHELTER - with a $20 gift certificate  and Woodware.
Here is my take on Feebs' challenge - 
I created this card in tribute to an elderly family friend, who was a loving, generous, warm hearted man with the most endless supply of patience when I was growing up and a great sense of fun! He also was the smartest dressed person I knew - I can never remember seeing him without a stiff collar and tie. I saw a similar card to this on someone's blog a long time ago and remember thinking right away that I could have sent it to him if he'd have still been with us.
Basic textured black cardstock for the  jacket. 

I covered the collar, lapel and top of the pocket with black velvet like fabric - this seemed a good idea until I actually tried to do it - after a lot of fiddling about I actually managed to get it looking half decent - thankfully you can't see the underside of the lapel as it's stitched!!

The paper for the shirt and handkerchief is from the 'Man About Town' stack.

I stamped and embossed the pocket watch twice and then glued together with a couple of circular layers in between to give it some substance. The 'glass' face of the clock I did with glossy accents although it doesn't show very well.

The 'chain' was a bit of something I saved at some time and I tucked it inside the top flap of the pocket and secured it with a brad.

Finished off with a silver and black button from my stash. 
I want to say a big thank you to those of you who are still stopping by and commenting - I had scheduled my DT posts as I still have no broadband connection (5th June!!) and BT Openreach are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard at the moment.  
So I am really late linking this into the challenges this week but have managesdto get a wireless connection-
My Sheri Crafts - Fathers day 
Sugar Creek Hollow - Fathers Day (and I hope the vintage watch is enough)
Sweet Stampin' - Fathers Day 
ABC - Masculine 
Love to Create - Fathers Day
Ladybug Crafts - For the men




 

23 comments:

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Wow Viv this is fabulous, really effective with the velvet and pocket watch! Susan x

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

Absolutely brilliant what an ingenious idea for a card, love it!
jacqui xx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

A brilliant masculine card design Viv - love the velvet collar and the glossy pocket watch! Absolutely fabulous!

Hope your 'puter will soon be up and running Viv - heaven knows it's taken BT long enough hasn't it!
Love the view from your new home BTW!
Have a happy week - hugs, Sylvia xx

Sue said...

WOW! This is stunning Viv. A really stylish and classy design.
Sue xx

Stamps and Paper said...

A fabulous card Viv and just love the touch of velvet...brilliant. Idea
Anne

McCrafty's Cards said...

This is brilliant Viv,it looks like a real suit with that fabric and the stitching,
Kevin xx

Pia S said...

This is a fabulous male design, Viv! The textile you've added to this card really has a great effect, and the paper you've used for the shirt and handkerchief add to the stylish feel of this card. I also think the detail of the clock is a fantastic idea!

CuteNCrafty Mommy said...

Great project. I love all the colors and everything.
Tabitha
Tabitha's Designs Blog
Low priced fun Digi Papers and stamps:)
Come join us at Craft Lovin, Father's Day Challenge:)

Feebsy said...

I really love your take on the challenge. I was wondering how you produced the collar and pocket edge I think they look fabulous. I'm often very glad people can't see the "creative areas" of my work too! Love the fob and chain - brilliant finishing touches.

Feebs
xx

coops said...

wow love this viv.a really fabulous classy design :D


xx coops xx

Paper Junkie said...

Great card Viv. Well done on the sewing - I would have probably chickened out and drawn some faux stitches on the collar! Nice touch with the fob watch too. I'm sure he would have loved it. X

June Nelson said...

Wow how clever is wor vivvy babe, I didnt know you had moved house either sorry shug having big health problems which has made me a really bad blogger, hope you have settled in, photos please, card is fantastic big huggies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Moz said...

A 'dapper' card fit for any Gentleman! Beautifully constructed with classy accents such as Velvet lapels and a stunning pocket watch on a chain! Thank you for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow this week.
Hugz
Moz DT SCH

Sarah said...

I love your card! It's so original and creative! Great job! Thanks for joining us at My Sheri Crafts!

Crafty Lark said...

Super design Viv and what a great blog story. xx Flora

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow this is a stunning Fathers Day card. So unique and different. Very stylish too.
{I would love you to take part in my 600 Follower Give-away. Thank you so much if you have already entered.} Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Lela said...

Wow, what a neat card. Great tribute to a special man in your life. I really like the pocket watch. Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Challenge Blog

Teresa said...

Omg how perfect is that! looks so simple (in a nice way) and yet it's perfect for a Son, Dad, Grandad or Uncle,I really love it, well done you Viv. Hugs Teresa xx

mixamatoasties said...

Great card.

Thanks for sharing at Love to Create this week.

Susan x

♥Gemma♥ said...

Wow hunni this is amazing, i so love it!!
hugs and xxx
Gemma

Cec said...

What a fun card. Love the pocket watch. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
Hugs!
Cec

Unknown said...

Awesome. How cool is this card...love it.xxxx

Kelly L said...

What a brilliant idea!! I love the lapel and handkerchief and especially that pocket watch and chain. Terrific card! Thanks for sharing the card and your great story of "the sharp dressed man." Hugs, Kel