Tuesday 14 November 2023

New challenge at Try It On Tuesday

 Our challenge at Try It On Tuesday this fortnight is called 'Baby It's Cold Outside' - and to be honest here today it is!!
Although not quite as cold as it looks on my make!
I have been completely devoid of any ideas for the last couple of weeks and currently am experiencing a bit of a struggle to make anything. The idea for this came from a FB craft group -there were a few examples of white ink on dark card - it also meant I could continue my quest to use up my coloured card.

The base card is called 'Curious Blue'. I bought it some time ago at a show so am not sure which brand it is and this is the last piece.
I liked the colour but it is a bit of a pain to work on as it has a subtle coating on it.
That said it took the white ink really well.
I think there was some white embossing on the original examples but I simply used the white ink without.

Began by ink blending the snow with Brilliance Moonlight White - it took a while to build up the colour but was quite chuffed with the result.
Added the fence and owl (both Card-io) using Versafine Clair Nocturne.

The trees were stamped several times using the Misti but on the last stamping I shifted the card ever so slightly to try and give a misty effect. Again was more than a little pleased with how it turned out!

The branches at the top are from a Stampin Up set and those at the bottom are Card-io.
I used a white Posca pen to add snow to the fence, highlight the owl and then spattered loads across the whole card to make a snowstorm.
Thanks to the Card-io group for helping me out in my time of need!

Hop over to the blog and see what the rest of the team have done this week - and hoping you will be able to take part in this challenge! x
Sharing over at
Christmas Bingo - Letter 'B' (Free/Stamped Image/Ink Blending)
Daisy Chain - Christmas/Winter
IYGACAC - White
Use Your Stuff - Winter/Snow
Cards4Guyz - Winter Scene

21 comments:

Carole said...

Love your scene Viv...it's beautiful. I like Mr owl sat on the fence. You have given this scene great depth...love it. xx

Brenda in IN said...

This is just beautiful and ethereal. The snowy look on that blue paper is awesome. I understand where you are right now as I hit the wall with inspiration too. I'm glad you persevered and got this fantastic card.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous Wintry snowy scene and love the little owl-I have been asked for a Golden Wedding anniversary card and been trawling pinterest for inspiration lol got 6 cards half made and no idea where to go next!
Carol x

Sarn said...

Sorry to hear you’re struggling with mojo currently Viv.

Must say this card is absolutely FABULOUS. I really love it. Xxx

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

You definitely captured the cold! Fabulous card! Thanks for having me as your GDT!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow Viv. This is such a gorgeous card. I love the winter sparkles, and being an owl fan, I love how you added that owl. That paper certainly did take the white ink too. I hope all is well. hugs-Erika

Loll said...

LOVE this amazing winter scene, Viv! The white stamping on the blue card is STUNNING! Great work, my friend! xx

papierelle said...

Wow, I'm thrilled!!! It looks so real!!! I can feel the snow and the cold!! And I hope we will get such a beautiful snowy landscape this winter.

HilaryJane said...

Your wintry snow scene is just amazing. You have created a real atmosphere. I love it. Well done xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautifully frosty scene! Loving the dark background and silver sparkle - perfect 😊. Such amazing inspiration. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Meggymay said...

A beautiful winter scene Viv, the dark base card with the white stamping and details looks amazing.
Yvonne x

Pat said...

Another wonderful snowy scene Viv, and looks great on the dark card with that sweet owl and framed beautifully with the foliage, and the snow slopes looks so pretty using the Brilliance white ink..a gorgeous card! x

Pia S said...

Wow! Just white and black ink and you achieved all those different shades and the illusion of depth. This is an amazing piece of work.

Mrs.B said...

A really lovely wintery night time scene and the owl sitting on the fence adds a lovely detail. Love the effect of the white ink on the dark card and I can imagine the shimmer with the Brilliance ink.
Avril xx

Jules said...

Hi Viv

Your card is truly beautiful .. .. I love the finished look very much.

You have created the sort of scene you I like to look at through a window, but not venture out into!

Love Jules xx

dj said...

Beautiful!! You have created a serreal winter wonderland!! Thank you for playing along with our "Winter Scene" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz!! A true card "4 a guy" with that great horned owl perched on the post! -Deb Horst, DT #C4G335

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Viv! I love your Wintery scene - you've got a great storm going on here - it's great to look out on the Cold Outside. Hugs, Chrisx

Christine Alexander said...

wow what a beautiful card, amazing use of white to create such a frosty scene ♥

Deanne Saunders said...

Wow! Beautiful!! Thanks so much for participating in my IF YOU GIVE A CRAFTER A COOKIE... challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

Helen said...

That looks amazing - so effective on the dark background.

Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Helen x
DT

Cazro said...

Stunning white work on your dark blue card. Thanks for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz. DT.