Tuesday 28 November 2023

Traditional Christmas at TIOT

 Here we are at the end of November and time for another challenge at Try It On Tuesday.
Our theme this time is 'Traditional Christmas' and there is nothing more traditional for me than a Christmas Tree!

This is a little different for me.
I have been wanting to try something like this for a while and having been gifted a HUGE (and I mean huge - like 3 storage boxes worth!! 😡😡) amount of costume jewellery from my Mum in Law during one of her 'clear outs' with the words 'Take to the Charity Shop or do whatever you want with it', I did precisely that - what I wanted with it!

I have made four of these 'Christmas Tree shapes' using some of the jewellery - all different and there's enough left for at least 3 more!

The rectangular ones measure 9" x 7" in their shadow box frame and a square one which is 8". I'll share this in another post as it is a little different.
I have a small table at a local Christmas Market next week so I shall take a couple of these with me.

I wanted velvet for the background but decided it was simply too expensive - (how I wish we'd have kept all the material during a previous M-I-L clear out!) so opted for felt as an alternative.

I spent ages arranging bits of jewellery to make the shapes! A variety of gold, pearl and sparkly diamante brooches, earrings, and pieces from a pendant all framed with a yellow metal chain made this piece.

Am sorry the pic isn't brilliant - the camera doesn't like all the bling!

I was thinking though when I was making it that these would make lovely memory keepsakes - I have a few pieces of my Mum's in my own jewellery box so I may make one for me to keep.

Hope you can find some time to link up a make this challenge and please have a look at what the teamies have come up with - we all love visitors! 

Sharing over at -
CFTH - A/Goes
Use Your Stuff - Shine Bright
Peace on Earth - A/Xmas
Holly and Ivy - A/Xmas

21 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I love this Viv. What a cool idea. Your tree is really beautiful and I hope it's going on display and it's not only clever, but really a nice take on Christmas. hugs-Erika

Aquarius said...

What a wonderful way to use the costume jewellery - far better than just taking it to the charity shop and you've had the pleasure of composing these lovely trees. Good luck with your Christmas fair.

HilaryJane said...

What a really clever idea. I love it. Did you use hot glue to attach them? Each piece is really pretty but putting them together makes it extra special. Yes, you should definitely make one for yourself with your mums pieces xx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous tree and brilliant use of the jewellery-beautiful keepsakes.
Carol x

Jules said...

Hi Viv

Well your camera might not like all the bling but I certainly do. What a fabulous idea! I love it very much!

I hope you do well with your table at the Christmas Market and have lots of stock to take with you.

Love Jules xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a brilliant idea, this looks amazing. Hugs, Chrisx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is amazing Viv, what a clever design. You are so lucky to have been gifted such beautiful costume jewellery. Enjoy using it, it's a fabulous medium to create and play with.
Hugs Tracey xx

Christine Alexander said...

Wow, stunning way to use the costume jewelry. That will look wonderful on display every Christmas ♥

Meggymay said...

An absolutely fantastic card Viv. I love how you used the costume jewellery to create this a wonderful piece, it should be kept and treasured.
Yvonne

Joan said...

I think this is fabulous Viv, what a great idea! I have loads of old jewellery, in fact I think I have that lizard brooch somewhere πŸ˜€

Joan x

Diane said...

Very beautiful and creative, how fun to be given all the costume jewelry, I have a friend that makes these too!!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Peace On Earth!
Diane POE Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Peace On Earth}

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, this is stunning! I love how you used the jewellery, your Christmas tree design on the dark background is amazing 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Sue - said...

This is absolutely beautiful Viv. What a clever idea too.

Greta said...

This is so beautiful! Would you believe, I have several trees made from costume jewelry that my grandma made & I absolutely treasure them! First decoration that goes up every year.

Imke said...

This is so lovely and a great way to use the jewellery. Just brilliant !

Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

Loll said...

So creatively beautiful, Viv!! Love how you've repurposed your MIL's costume jewelry. xx

ScrappyHorses said...

Loving this jewelry tree! Takes me back to my childhood!

Mrs.B said...

This is fabulous Viv, it's a great idea and as you say, would make lovely keepsakes. Hope you had a good day at the Christmas market.
Avril xx

Bonnie said...

GORGEOUS work of art, my friend! They will be snapped up, I'm sure!

Pat said...

What a great idea to make pretty collages out of the costume jewellery from your MIL, and this works brilliantly Viv. x

Kate said...

Stunning work of art! Thanks for sharing with us and inspiring us at The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge!
Hugs, Kate (DT The Holly and Ivy Christmas Challenge)!