Wednesday 9 December 2020

A Case of the Deer

Cards made written and posted, which done so early, has to be a first for me! Nice to not be panicking that I haven't made enough for a change, in fact I have a few left which will make a good start for next year.
Despite the horrible year 2020 has been I actually think now that it has gone relatively quickly - maybe because every day is pretty much like the ones that have gone before they have all just merged into one!

I have coveted this Penny Black die for a while after seeing what my clever buddy Loll did with it. I found it a couple of weeks back and was really excited when it arrived and had to have a go at doing what Loll did and get the gilding flakes out.

I love the effect of gilding flakes - just don't like the mess they make - but because they are messy I didn't stop at one card and made a couple of each in different colours - gold, silver, copper and then another done with a mix of the 3 colours. 

After gilding each die with a colour I just pushed the flakes to one side and started on the next one so the last ones made used up a bit of the residue on the desk! (that was my attempt at being tidy(ish))

I used metallic ink on my star stamp and a metallic Posca pen for the spatters.

Gave Mr Deer a shiny red Nuvo Drop nose.

The sentiment also done with gilding flakes - was a little difficult to work in the flakes but got there in the end.

Finished the card by running the metallic ink round the edges.
I now have a few more design ideas for this die and flakes so thanks to Lolly for kick starting me - although I wish she could pop over and clean up after me too!
Sharing at
Cardz4Guyz - Traditional Christmas
TIOT - Christmas Sparkle
Library Challenge - The Night Before Christmas (inspired by the book title) 

24 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely card Viv and love how his red nose pops out

Anne

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Ohhhh, that’s beautiful Viv. I love everything about it and the silver looks great against the black card. I can see why you were excited about the fabulous stag and I’m pleased that you’ve been able to make lots of cards with it x

Kathleen said...

Love the black and silver, a great image and design.

Kath x

Sally H said...

Love this! definitely worth the mess, lol! A very luxurious card. I think you are right, it has gone relatively quickly considering. This last week or two has flown so fast, but I won't be asking for it to slow down this year, lol. Lets hope 2021 is a bit better.

aussie aNNie said...

wowzer absolutely fabulous, lovely design and gorgeous card in the black and white. The deer almost looks 'fluffy' . xxx

dj said...

I love with wintery night card you created!! It is perfect for our "Traditional Christmas" challenge over at Cardz 4 Guyz! Thanks for playing along with us!!

Christine Alexander said...

wow beautiful in black and silver :)

Babs said...

A beautiful card Viv love the silver with the black and love how the red on the reindeers nose pops against the black.
Hope you have a lovely Christmas best wishes
Babs x

Billie A said...

Stunning.. Amazing. I LOVE this card. So glad you shared over at Cardz 4 guyz.

Bonnie said...

I hear you about the gilding flakes, Viv! They may be messy, but they are stunning on the leaping deer! Love the starry background!

TK said...

Wonderful card, Viv, all that silver is pretty! I've seen gilding flakes on cards made by others, but I've never actually seen it IRL -- maybe I'll run across it one day

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

What a fabulous card Viv, I love what you've done with the guilding flakes, the mess must have been worth it for such beautiful cards.

Sue xx

Sarn said...

Beautiful and very striking.

Well done on being organised for Christmas.

Hugs, Sarnie xxx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous card Viv, I love the effect of gilding flakes and know what you mean about the mess but the silver looks stunning against the black. I'm not surprised you coveted this die, he's very majestic.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday
Avril xx

HilaryJane said...

Lovely vibrant card, the gilding is really effective and I love those splatters xx

Liz said...

Lovely card, Viv. It's really striking in black and silver with the tiny pop of red. xx

Loll said...

Your deer is GORGEOUS with the silver gilding flakes. LOVE it on the black background that really shows off the flakes so well. So happy I inspired you to pull out your gilding flakes, but that doesn't mean that I'll come clean up after you! :) You're on your own for that! Love, Lolly

Marina said...

All the shimmer and stars and spatters make this quite magical. Thanks for joining The Library.

Vicky Hayes said...

Lovely Viv! Mr Deer is rather handsome isn't he - can see why he was on your wish list! I'm not so keen on tidying up after messy techniques either and it takes a lot to get me to even heat emboss! But your gilding flakes look fantastic so all worth it! Vicky x

Mrs A. said...

It's the mess that gilding flakes make that stops me from using mine. I liked it when I could go to work shops and make as much mess as I wanted. Doing classes on face book feels much more one to one but then you do have to clear it all up afterwards. Your deer looks fabulous and i bet the other colours do too.The pots I have are combinations of colours and have some quite rude names! Hugs Mrs A.

Ros Crawford said...

It's a beautiful card and I have no doubt that it sparkles like crazy! Though I do understand about the mess... It's like that with glitter, it gets EVERYWHERE!! I too think the year has passed quickly albeit under weird circumstances... I only hope that next year we will all have more of the old life back. Stay well Viv!

Mac Mable said...

Sure worth all the mess Viv x. What a striking card and love the movement of the beautiful deer and those pretty stars...Well done Loll with enabling you too Viv x.

Marjut said...

Beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.

Let's Art Journal said...

What a stunning card! Love all the Christmas sparkle from the silver elements - amazing 😀. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday and merry Christmas! Hugs, Jo x