Thursday 1 September 2022

CAS Mix Up September Challenge

This month at CAS Mix Up Hilary has set the challenge of 'Using Gesso with your Stencils'.
I have used Gesso for mixed media projects but rarely on a CAS make so I had to think quite hard! I must have been on my own as when I saw the beautiful makes from the rest of the Design Team and our Guest Designer Sue I wondered why I struggled so much when everyone else had done such beautiful makes!
Anyway here it is -

The cogs and gears stencil is from Hunkydory.
After painting on the gesso and letting it dry I had a bit of a crisis moment as I simply couldn't decide what colours to use - I didn't want orange rusty colours but something more subtle as I'd already made my mind up on the colour of the base card!

Delving into the drawers I remembered I had several pots of Imagination Crafts metallic gilding wax in different colours so thought I would try them out.

White Gold, Pewter and a tiny amount of Green rubbed all over my stencilled panel and then wiped off with a cloth gave me a dark background with the stencilled cogs taking on a dark silver.

Was quite happy with the result although if I did it again I think I would use Cobalt with the green to give a more verdigris type effect!

The die cut cogs are Spellbinders using the same gilding wax.

This card looks so much better in real life - taking pics using metallics has to be one of the hardest things!
There's lots of inspiration over at the challenge blog and links to videos if like me your initial reaction to the theme was dread!

Have fun, get the gesso out with your stencils and make something CAS and share with us! x

13 comments:

Aquarius said...

I think I'd have been a bit thrown with this challenge as well but you've made a great card which must be spectacular when seen for real.

Glennis F said...

Looks amazing Viv, I love the effect

Stamps and Paper said...

Great masculine card for your challenge Viv...it's amaazing what we find tucked away in ourcupboards and draws....

Anne

Bonnie said...

I agree about getting a good likeness to metallic anything on a card! I love this metallic look and it's so perfect for a guy! It doesn't look like you struggled at all, my friend!

Liz said...

Great CAS card Viv, especially perfect as a masculine card. xx

Christine Alexander said...

Amazing Viv, love the metallic look of the card perfect for a masculine birthday.

nancy littrell said...

You got a really good close up photo of your creative metallic colors, Viv. A clever and creative masculine card using your artsy products. A wonderful birthday card, my friend. TFS Love and Hugs...so fun trying new techniques, don't you think?!?

Loll said...

LOVE the mix of colours from your gilding wax background. It really does look like metal. The gesso stenciling really shows off beautifully. Great work, my friend! xx

Julia Aston said...

What a great gear stencil and die cuts - great colors achieved on them - a lovely masculine design using the gesso!

My Paper Epiphany said...

It doesn't look like you struggled! I love your fabulous card!

HilaryJane said...

I struggled to come up with my cards for this one too Viv and I chose the theme! Your end result is really something special though, I just love it. Using the gilding was was a brilliant idea. It has turned out beautifully, thanks for hanging in there as it all came good in the end. Sorry for my late visit, but I have been away and am now catching up, or trying too! xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Gorgeous card with the gears, Viv, and I love the extra die cut ones too! Thanks for the inspiration at CAS Mix Up!!

Bobby said...

What a great masculine card, Viv. I've done some with gears before but I love the look you got with gilding wax.