Thursday 2 March 2023

February Card Chain Challenge

February's  Card Chain Challenge card was sent to Jo in the UK
Having received a bumper bundle of Card-io stamps at Christmas from my other half I am enjoying using them!

I am waiting for warmer weather so it seemed apt to use some stamps that made me think of sunny days.

The colour option this month asked for Brick Red, Aqua and Sand which shouted all things beachy to me - so once again I bypassed the Technique/Sketch/Theme options!

I started by stamping the boat in Fired Brick Oxide then masked it off.

I experimented a little using VersaMagic chalk based ink and a small blending brush for the sea. As I normally use Oxides for ink blending I wasn't sure how it would look - but I was really happy with the result. The 'Sea Breeze' ink colour blended beautifully and gave a soft effect which was a change from the depth of colour you get with Oxides etc.

I wanted the boat to remain the focal point so I used the Sea Breeze ink to  stamp the Pier rather than using a grey or black
I used another colour - 'Wheat' for my sand and some of the grasses.
The stones and shells were more of the VersaMagic inks Sahara Sand and Niagra Mist.

Took my blue and yellow blending brushes and just rubbed on the top for the sky using the excess ink on the brushes rather than inking them up again so the colours weren't overpowering.
I am really enjoying the Card Chain Challenge - the challenge themes give you lots of options to choose from and it's lovely receiving a surprise each month! This month I received a really pretty make from Tina in Slovenia!

20 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

lovely peaceful scene Viv...nothing nicer than being by the sea..Beautiful card

Anne

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I can feel the warm summer sun that is causing the haze across the water in the gorgeous card Viv. Although the sun is out here at the moment is sure is cold this morning.

Sue xx

Sarn said...

What a gorgeous scene - very tranquil.
Hugs, Sarnie xxx

HilaryJane said...

You have outdone yourself with this on. It is amazing so soft and moody and that bold red boat really adds the perfect contrast and focal point. An amazing scene. Well done xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Ooo - so beautiful, Viv & a great use of the Feb. CCC colors!! So serene - love it!!

Pia S said...

You got everything right on this card, perfect choices for everything and wow, the effect of that red boat and the layoout....

Angelnorth said...

What a lovely, restful scene — beautifully put together Viv!

Arlene said...

This is just a beautiful scene. I love the pier as though seeing it in a slightly foggy day with the sun filtering through. Love it.

Bonnie said...

This is a beautiful scene, Viv! Your blending is amazing and I love how the red boat remains the focal point drawing the eye to the calm of the sea!

Aquarius said...

A tranquil summer scene - lovely and well done to your other half for coming up trumps with some stamps for you.

papierelle said...

You created a wonderful scene. It feels like being by the sea on a foggy morning.

Carole said...

Wow! You are getting so good at this blending thing ad creating scenes. this is lovely, calming and serene and makes me want to be there. I want to peek in the boat to see what is in it! fabulous. xx

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely beautiful card,love the peaceful stamped scene -beautiful
Carol x

Mrs A. said...

Love your boat scene. Just perfect. Hugs Mrs A.

TK said...

Beautiful, calm scene -- this is wonderful, Viv

Joan said...

Lovely scene Viv


Joan x

Brenda in IN said...

This should be framed and hung in a prominent place. A wonderful, calming scene and so beautiful. Great card, Viv.

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful scene, love the softness of the misty sky with the fun fare in the background and the pop of red with the baot ♥

Pat said...

A wonderful seaside scene Viv, and the red boat really stands out, and the chalky ink gives a really dreamy quality. x

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

A beautiful scene x