Tuesday 23 April 2024

A Return

 It's been a little while since I took hold of a canvas but having a recent tidy (for 'tidy' insert - 'open boxes to see what's in them') I found some 6 x 4 canvas boards long forgotten!
In the box with the canvas was all kinds of stash saved for mixed media including a massive bag of shells which were collected over several years each time I had a trip out anywhere beachy!

I painted the canvas first with Gesso then mixed some Mermaid Lagoon ink with texture paste and covered the whole board.

When dry, I randomly sponged over it with Salty Ocean and a little bit of Chipped Sapphire.

I wanted to create something that looked like a wave of white foam and this proved quite a challenge!

After trying out different things on a piece of scrap, I remembered I had a Funky Fossil stencil of a surfer riding a wave - the wave bit was just what I needed so back to the texture paste, this time with white acrylic paint and lots of masking so the surfer didn't appear!

Arranged a couple of shells so they looked like they were being tossed in the waves (I hope) and fixed some hessian, pearl beads, more shells to the bottom.

Popped on a few blue Dew Drops to imitate water droplets and found two tiny metal fish (from I know what where) in my stash.

The sentiment is one of my all time favourites stamped on vellum with Memento Danube Blue and heat embossed.

Quite pleased with the way it turned out in the end, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed the odd venture into mixed media - am sharing this over at As You Like It where the option is Fussy or Clean and something which gives you an inner glow of pride - well I am proud of this fussy make as it's been so long before I did anything like it!

Have promised myself I'll use up the other canvas very soon and thanks for looking today - hope all is well in your part of blogland! x
Also sharing over at -
We Love 2 Create - Anything Mixed Media
Creative Artiste - Anything Mixed Media
Stencil Fun - Using my Funky Fossil Surfer stencil
Darnell's I.D.E.A.S - week 4 - the letter 'A' - Anything Goes

15 comments:

Aquarius said...

It's always a bit of an adventure opening boxes and looking inside (well it is here anyway) and the canvass and shells were lovely items to find and have obviously spurred you on to making this lovely piece of mixed media art. Great bit of 'thinking outside the box' to achieve the wave effect you visualised. Love it😊

Brenda in IN said...

What a stunning scene you created by adding bits of this and that. So much detail to it. The wave came out great. I hope you hang this in a place where it can be enjoyed every day. Can't wait to see your next canvas.

Darnell said...

You should be proud, Viva! This is a brilliant canvas to display your amazing seaside finds! So much better this way then in those boxes you opened, lol! Hugs, Dolly

HilaryJane said...

this is really very special. Well done for getting in that box and having a go. I love the result. I hope it is going to get a special place on your wall xx

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant canvas,love the wave background and all the shells -great memories and a keepsake.
Carol x

Bonnie said...

What a great mixed media canvas, Viv! It's a great way to use those shells!

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous MM piece of art, the shells are wonderful creating a great beach feel to the piece xx

Glennis F said...

Amazing what you can find in boxes!!!
Love the result but having trouble reading what the sentiment says

Anita said...

What a surprise you had with your box, and what an awesome project, Viv!! I absolutely adore your sea art. The foamy wave turned out just amazing, and the water droplets and shells being swept away add to the sense of motion. Just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this piece with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media!! xo

Sue - said...

This is just so pretty. It will look lovely hanging on a wall!

Sarn said...

Fab mixed media piece. I love it xxx

Pat said...

What a fabulous canvas Viv and so textural with the paste, and the added shells are so pretty, also love the clear drops you added. x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a great play you have had here Viv, a superb canvas to display all those finds which all work together so beautifully. I love the curve of the wave and how the cluster of seaside treasure presents itself, you have reminded me of a project I started a few years ago that never got finished now I feel the need to find it.. Thank you for sharing with us @ Creative Artiste and joining our Anything Mixed Media Goes April Challenge.
Happy crafting Tracey (DT)

Fiona said...

I love your canvas - and what a fabulous find with those shells. Your piece is very calming and I love that composition of the shells at the bottom tapering off - you really captured that sense of the wave. Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media - hope to see you again next month

Diane said...

A fabulous canvas and a great way to use those pretty shells!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
Diane SF Co-Owner
{Nellies Nest}
{Stencil Fun}