Tuesday 8 August 2023

Sing A Song at TIOT

New challenge day at Try It On Tuesday - and the theme this time is 'Sing a Song' - so find a song you like and make something reflecting your tune!

OR -
you can do what I did and do something really random!
Whilst looking for another stamp set I saw this Cardio set called 'High Flyers' - It triggered off a song in my head and I showed my age by singing the chorus of it (and it's been driving me nuts ever since!)

The song is - of course-  'Lets Go Fly A Kite' from Mary Poppins.
I had a red kite when I was a child and my Uncle took me to the local sand dunes to fly it - a lovely childhood memory!

I made my little scene using all Cardio stamps from a few sets - Beach Trail, Beside the Sea and Flipping Out (don't you just LOVE Flip-flops!) as well as the High Flyers set.

I did some gentle ink blending using chalk inks which give a much softer effect than Distress ones to create my sandy beach and sea and (although it doesn't show very well in the pic) the sky - which is a very pale blue with a watery sun - cos not all days on the beach are hot and sunny!

I added some white posca pen to highlight the little ripples as the sea reached the shore and underneath the pier.
I hope the little boy enjoyed flying his kite as much as I used to do! 
Thanks for visiting me today - please have a look on the challenge blog and see what the rest of the team have come up with - and hopefully you'll join our challenge this time round!

20 comments:

Glennis F said...

Such a lovely scene Viv

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Such a beautiful scene Viv, I love that you have such wonderful memories of your childhood to go along with this too.

Sue xx

Aquarius said...

An idyllic beach scene and I can just imagine you singing along as you were creating it. Love the hazy effect of the sand, sea and sky.

My name is Erika. said...

That song shows my age too. :) I love how you did this Viv. I also like how most of the beach in light or neutral colors, except the kite and the flip flops. This is a great example of this challenge. hugs-Erika

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely beach scene Viv..its has certainly been windy enough to fly a kite here..great card

Anne

Joan said...

It’s a fabulous card Viv, had me singing along as soon as I saw it! So much interest,love the pier in the background


Joan x

Carole said...

A lovely scene Viv...I like the soft look as you say not all days at the beach are sunny! I remember taking my two boys to the beach to fly kites when they were little. xx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and Summery beach scene -love all the stamps and trying not to think of the song lol
Carol x

Mrs.B said...

It's a fabulous scene Viv and I love the red kite that just 'pops' on the page. You've got me singing that song now!
Avril xx

LesleyG said...

Oh gosh, I’m singing it in my head now 😂. Love your scene xxx

Meggymay said...

I guessed the song title and hoped I was right when I saw your fantastic card Joan. Its a super scene and inspiration for the theme.
Yvonne xx

Meggymay said...

Apologies Viv, I think I called you Joan
Yvonne xx

Brenda in IN said...

This scene at the beach with the carnival in the background is wonderful. What a great way to combine stamp sets. Your cloudy day is awesome. This should be framed for a boys room. Thanks for the hearing aid joke. I laughed out loud! I love jokes like that.

Pat said...

This is great Viv and has a wonderful misty ethereal quality about it and I love the little boy with his enormous kite, and the fences and beach sign lead you into this sweet seaside scene, and I adore the added bright blue spotted flip flops. x

Pia S said...

Ah, this is really beautiful, Viv. Love the nostalgic feel too, I can't remember seeing any kids using kites for at least a decade, if not more...

TK said...

Perfect scene, and a wonderful place to dream about!

Vicky Hayes said...

This is gorgeous too Viv and the song means a lot to me as my youngest son starred as Bert in his 6th form production before he left school! I love that you used chalk inks - very apt because of the street illustrations in the film! - and it gives a dreamy soft look and gives the impression that everything could just fade away into a different scene while you're looking! Vicky x

HilaryJane said...

What an amazing beach scene, it really conjures up a hot and balmy summers day. The pop of red and blue really brings it to life. Brilliant xx

Bonnie said...

You've got me humming that song now, Viv! What a wonderful memory and the perfect card to preserve that memory!

pearshapedcrafting said...


I knew therea was something I hadn't done! What a fabulous scene and a lovely memory. Of course I knew the song straight away, hugs, Chrisx