Tuesday 1 September 2020

CAS Mix Up September Challenge

Hello CAS Mix Uppers! Today is the start of another new challenge at CAS Mix Up and this month we are back to a 'Mixed Media' challenge and Joanna has set the challenge of Embossing with Dies.

I have had this die from StudioLight for a little while - another impulse buy and 'never before used'!
All I will say about this card is it was one of those where I had a good idea in my mind but the execution and composition turned out nothing like I expected!

I angled the die across my card base and then dry embossed.
I took lots of odd bits of card that we all keep and simply die cut them all, then pushed out the tiny triangles from the die.

I had a fun time (not) of finding pieces that fitted into the embossed part as I didn't put any to one side just kept die cutting until I thought I had enough to finish the picture in my head!

Boy was there a mess on the desk!

But you know.....even though it didn't quite resemble what I had in my head, I don't think it turned out too bad at all!

Lots of lovely inspiration over on the CAS Mix Up blog, some video tutorial links and a really special card from our Guest Designer, the wonderfully talented Mac

 Hope you will enjoy using your dies in a different way and share your make with us!

18 comments:

Aquarius said...

How clever to think of doing this - it is so effective even if you did end up with coloured triangles all over your desk. Love it!

HilaryJane said...

I know that feeling very well, but this has indeed turned out really well. What a very clever idea to have all the coloured pieces falling out. I am sure it was much more fiddly to do than it looks from the finished article. Love the nice bold colours too xx

Mac Mable said...

Thank you Viv for the very kind shout out x.
I think your card is contemporary, fun and fabulous. Isn't it great to extend your dies even further? It sure looks like to me that you indeed had fun and messy is good.....!!!!

Kathleen said...

A great fun card and I don't think it turned out too bad at all, it made me smile. Great design and lovely colours.

Kath x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

You should be pleased with the way this card has turned out Viv, it's a great fun card.

Sue xx

Bonnie said...

I think this turned out beautifully, Viv! I'm not sure what you were imagining but I don't think you could imagine anything better! Love the colorful triangles filling in the embossing and floating into a heap below! What a great card!

My Paper Epiphany said...

So unique, clever and fun! Wonderful card Viv!!!

nancy littrell said...

Your sentiment is soooo perfect for your creatively designed and bit of a struggle embossing with a die card, Viv. I Love how it turned out and now you have all kinds of pieces for future projects:-) TFS my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Loll said...

Colourful and artsy card Viv! LOVE the dry embossed background with just a few coloured triangles filling in the spots. And then the pile of others that have "fallen off". Your card tells a story. Great work Viv! xx

Jo said...

You've done a genius job on the die dry embossing. Creativity does take courage and you've brilliantly given this technique an honourable wink. I love this, I thought it to be so very creative when I first saw it come up on the blog. All of those pieces remind me of my desk when die cutting LOL. Such an artful approach, beautiful! xx

TK said...

I think it's a great fit to the challenge, Viv, and it sure matches your sentiment! Great card for the challenge

Christine Alexander said...

Viv such a fun background with your die cut embossing :)

Linby said...

This is such a clever idea and it looks great.

Zoechaos said...

Attracted my attention right off so clever bright and cheerful card, it is wonderful x

Julia Aston said...

What a great design with the colorful die cut triangles falling down off the embossed die image Viv! What a creative idea! xx

Linda said...

How cool is this!! Love the embossed background and adding the coloured sections was just genius ..... love it!!

crafty-stamper said...

It's weird when what you visualise doesn't turn out like expected but better than you thought,wow some patience with those small pieces-must admit I have never embossed with dies
Carol x

Susan Joyce said...

Beautiful rainbow of colours Viv and I love the abstract die that you used. Very creative!