Thursday 4 April 2019

A learning curve and thoughts to ponder!!

Have you ever wondered (when you look at little piles of failed attempts in the bin ), why you tried in the first place?

Have you ever wondered (when you look at the greasy fingermarks), why you decided to use some (rather expensive) navy blue card which is coated with something that instantly attracts every single teeny bit of anything that is floating about above the craft desk?

Have you ever wondered (when you look at the finished article) why, even though there is nothing on the actual card the camera appears to have picked up strange shading and tiny specks?

I have.
I have wondered all these things  🔮 -  and don't know the answers!!

But in the making of the little pile of mess now sat in the bin I discovered that Pink embossing powder does not work when applied direct to this particular card.
Nor does Blue.
Nor does  Yellow
Nor does Green.

This stamp set  is called 'Under The Cherry Blossom tree' from Altenew and I confess that although I coveted it, it was not what I expected when it arrived.
There is nothing wrong with the set, it is a really pretty set but for me the majority of the sentiment stamps are really tinyand likely I will only use one or two.

I used Gold and Platinum EP on the branch - then, on trying to layer the cherry blossom in pink and the teeny birdie in aforementioned colours, I found out that this card definitely does not like it!

Try #1 - pink blossom ended up a sludgy maroon colour
Try #2 - blue birdie ended up translucent
Try #3 - yellow birdie was green
Try #4 = Green birdie looked as sick as the proverbial parrot!!

So blossom and birdie ended up white!

I am entering my tale of woe (and the card) into the following challenges
CAS Mix Up  - (Layered Embossing, Stamping and Die Cutting)
Time Out - Inspiration Pic (Blue, gold, white and blossom)
Stamplorations CAS Challenge - Dark Navy

I am off to put away pots of EP and empty the bin!! x









19 comments:

Mac Mable said...

So glad you persevered Viv....I had much the same problems layering the embossing powders but like you I learnt lots along the way and like you instead of changing course with perhaps different stamps or card I kept going....You are not alone x. When I had actually finished a card I felt so satisfied and so glad that I had learnt another new to me technique x.
Your card is so striking with the navy blue card and the metallic and I think your card looks so pretty and also dramatic. The white embossing looks beautiful x. Thank you so much for trying out the technique, sharing your tips along the way and joining us over at The CAS Mix Up Challenge x.

Kathleen said...

Oh Viv, what a great post, you win some you lose some but why is it that an image that you really love is always the one that causes most problems. Must admit I have lots of stamps that I wish I had never bought because they were not what I thought. Thanks for voicing what a lot of us card makers would like to say.
A lovely image though but the colours to me look gold and white.

Kath x

Meggymay said...

I did enjoy reading your post Viv and the problems you had creating this card.... which does look gorgeous. It is an awesome colour combination.
I hope the next time you use this special card all will go well first time round.
Yvonne xx

Carole said...

Maybe you will like it better tomorrow Viv. It looks fine on your blog, but I get your frustration and your disappointment. Save that card for die cutting silhouettes perhaps? Anyway 10/10 for perseverance and achieving what appears to me to be a perfectly acceptable card (you are like me a perfectionist...yes?) :) xx

Bonnie said...

Oh, my, Viv. I have been down that road of mishaps and messes....BUT your card ended up beautiful and well worth the effort my my side of this situation! I'm so glad you persevered because the finished card is so elegant! Love that beautiful navy background although after reading this, I don't think I'll try it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

Mrs A. said...

Well you got there in the end and your card does look fab on my computer. Hugs Mrs A.

Loll said...

Hi Viv. I'm glad you kept going. In the end you have a beautiful card, but I can understand the frustration. I found this very difficult too and had a bin full of Altenew layered stampings that just went wrong. I switched to a different image and it all came together quite well that time. I think the image has a lot to do with success or failure. Honestly, I'm not really good at layered stamps, they never seem to line up for me. :) Thanks for the tips on trying different embossing powders as well. It makes a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with us at CAS Mix Up.

Aquarius said...

Well you got there in the end - full marks for perseverance!! This is a pretty result and it was interesting to read about your journey to get there - often embossing powders are very different on dark card when compared with using them on white or light backgrounds. It is something to do with the interference element in the mix.

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Oh dear what trouble you had but you ended up with a lovely card

aussie aNNie said...

Well Viv you did well with the end result and I LOVE it, looks fabulous like little cotton balls on the branches, to me, it's very effective. enjoy your weekend.xx

HilaryJane said...

Yes, I feel all those things, but despite that you have made a very impressive card and you have learnt something. The trick is to remember it for next time! I love your finished card and wish you had included a close up photo in your post xx

crafty-stamper said...

Well considering your post your card looks quite dramatic -but understand whilst it looks good to others the bother you have does put you off --I have a few stamps I really loved but have never actually used them and a beautiful die which is such a pain to cut have used it maybe once with a good result the rest have ended up in the bin in bits!!!
Carol x

Julia Aston said...

Well - this is how we learn right?! Your card is beautiful despite your issues with the EP's - this technique is new to me - but maybe you have to use an OPAQUE powder? your's may be translucent and so showed the dark card?? just me guessing - I think Jennifer McGuire mentioned that on her Youtube video they linked at CAS Mix.... The gold and white look beautiful against your dark background here!

Christina said...

It's beautiful, and your tale of woe made me laugh. It struck so many chords with me!

Joyce said...

Your card is so very pretty, and I can totally relate to your frustrations. Sometimes the simplest cards give me the most trouble. Glad you stuck with this one. Thanks so much for playing along at Time Out.

nancy littrell said...

You sure did not give up, Viv. Think of it as a learning experience! Your card ended up in my eye as a beautiful Asian style card. TFS and joining us at STAMPlorations CAS Card Challenge. Hugs..Nancy

Gerrina said...

The Springbranch looks so different and beautiful on the black; love the way it makes a bold image! Thank you for joining us at TIME OUT!

Pat said...

Well it was worth persevering as the finished result is gorgeous Viv. I haven't tried this technique as yet, but when I do I bet it won't be first time lucky..lol. x

Brenda in IN said...

This looks so elegant. The flowers are lovely and the little bird is so cute perched on the branch. The gold framing really sets it off. I am so glad you shared the trials making this and the comments others made. I look at others cards and think how talented they are never realizing that they may have had to make several before they got the results they wanted. Now I can try and keep on trying and not feel bad that I can't do it right the first time. I have learned so much from every single blogger that posts. It's a great community.