Friday 1 January 2021

2021 and CAS Mix Up is back!

So we say goodbye to what has been such a difficult year for so many people and let's hope that 2021 brings us better times. I am blessed and thankful to have had support and friendship from so many fellow crafters and my crafting has been my 'escape' from the mad mad world outside.
CAS Mix Up is back after our little December break, Joanna has stepped down (miss you Jo) but we welcome two new members to our team - Leslie and Coni!

Our first challenge has been set by Hilary -  and she has chosen the theme of 'Splatters'.
I am a Splatterer!
Without doubt it's one of  my favourite things on CAS cards as it gives a bit more interest yet still retains the uncluttered un-embellished space.

When I read the challenge theme I knew right away what I wanted to do.

I have had these red rubber stamps for such a long time and they hardly ever get used.
This was a reasonably quick card to do - made slower for me because I have got so used to clear stamps and MISTI positioning that working with red rubber ones now presents a bit of a challenge!

To comply with the Mixed Media element of the challenge my elements are Heat Embossing, Stamping and Watercolouring.

I did a light grey watercolour 'grounding' of the ink pots to try to achieve a bit of depth. 

The large ink splat is from Visible Image and I used a Black Posca pen tapping it with a cocktail stick for my other spatters, masking off the top part of the card in order to keep the white space clear.

Hope you will kick off your year by joining us this month - our very talented Guest Designer  Elaine (Craft-E-Place) and the rest of the DT have made some great cards!

Thanks for stopping by. x

27 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Great card Viv love the splatters..,ideal masculine card....crafting has certainly kept a lot of us sane through these dreadful times..stay safe


Anne

HilaryJane said...

Those splatters are just perfect, what a very clever card design, I love it xx

Leslie Miller said...

Hmmm... pretty sure I used to have these stamps and now I wish I still did. You just never know, but I don't have the room to keep everything forever. Hard choices must be made, sniff sniff. Viv, I love how they look on your card! The grounding and splatters, the pen squiggle (love that)... so cool! Yes, it's been an odd year and glad to have hopes for a better one ahead. I'm so glad to be joining the team this year!

Loll said...

This card tells a story with your collage of images, Viv! Love the vintage style with the ink pen and ink pot. Wonderful grounding with the watercolouring and it does definitely add depth and dimension to your scene. Wonderful splatters to finish it all off. Amazing start to new year of crafty fun! xx

conil said...

Oh my! How I love this card. Everything about it is just perfect from your embossing right down to your ink splats. These images fit so beautifully with the splatter theme. It's a match made in heaven.

Kathleen said...

A really super card, love your splattering and a great layout. Happy New Year.

Kath x

Marianne's Craftroom said...

This is fab love it. Happy New Tear

Carole said...

This is brilliant Viv!...absolutely fantastic, splatters are superb! xx

Bonnie said...

What a fantastic image, Viv and your splatters are so perfect with it! Wonderful depth to this simple design! Happy New Year, my friend!

Cathy said...

Such a fun card Viv, it's a story not just a note! Wonderful design, and I can relate to not being used to stamping without a misti lol! Happy New Year, Cathy x

Aquarius said...

This is perfect for the challenge - know what you mean about the 'old-style' stamps posing a bit of a challenge sometimes. Difficult to imagine that was all we had in the 'old days'. You've created a really nice scene with your splatters and other techniques.

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous card Viv, and that image is perfect for notelets.
The extra splatters really add to the scene.
Avril xx

Julia Aston said...

what a fun note card Viv! your spilled ink is a perfect image for 'splatters'!

nancy littrell said...

Oh my...Love your artsy Note card, Viv. Your splatters and gold added just the right amount of uncluttered interest. Beautiful CAS design, my friend. TFS and Wishing you a Creative, Happy and Healthy New Year. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Joan said...

Fab card Viv, love the spilled ink and splatters

Joan x

My Paper Epiphany said...

Brilliant! I love monochrome and wonderful ink splatter!

Pat said...

A great idea and such a super design Viv and so inspired to use the ink bottles with one spilling its contents and with a few more splatters to achieve the look and the sentiment goes perfectly. I love the gold nib pen and the grey surface for a bit of contrast. x

Brenda in IN said...

What a perfect card to showcase splatters! It is just wonderful and brings back memories when I was young using a pen like that and India ink. Boy, does that age me!

Mac Mable said...

Such a fun and creative idea with the splats Viv x. Wonderful tonal ecard and thank you for the tip about the cocktail stick x.

Hazel (Didos) said...

What a great make, I love the big splatter of ink. Reminds me of when I accidentally dropped a bottle of ink on the carpet years ago!!! Hazel x

Ros Crawford said...

What a fabulous card! The image is just perfect for splatters! Happy New Year!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card and stamps-love the splatters
Carol x

Linda said...

Happy New Year Viv!
Love, love, love your card. Beautifully CAS, and the splatters are just perfect xx

Susan Joyce said...

Happy New Year Viv, hope things get better in your part of the world soon! Love the images and how you used the splatters to add depth to your design. Awesome card!

TK said...

Terrific use of the challenge word -- and a great display of splatters!

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Oh dear me, I thought that I'd only missed a couple of your posts and I've missed quite a few, sorry that I'm a very bad blogging friend. This is a lovely card and the pen stamp is beautiful. I like the touch of gold as it adds a nice contrast, great splatters too x

Sally H said...

love this! I too love a splatter or 6 - so useful for hiding fingerprints! Sorry I too have missed so many posts xxx hope you forgive me x